The Retreat Center

Silent Retreat Center in Assisi

Our Silent Retreat Center

 

When we arrived for the first time at the spot where our center lies, we were struck with the same feeling some people a few hundred years ago must have had: Here it´s good to be, let´s settle down here.

A fine, light and clear energy. And silent!

 

They first were building a barn with the stones they collected from the area. At that time animals and people lived close together. Then in 1957 the first floor was added as a living area, this time with bricks, as that was far more civilized than rough and irregular nature stones (but a pity for us now!).

 

Then around 2000 the ground floor – which until then still was reserved for the animals – was converted into living space. There we now have the big kitchen in which we – together with our guests – prepare the meals.

 

The whole first floor is reserved for the retreats: two double bedrooms, one single room, common bathroom and the meditation/music room.

Then outside the terraces, the olive grove and the garden with different cosy corners, depending if one wants to sit in the sun or shadow…

 

No doubt, we love this place! So we probably are not the best ones to describe it in the most objective manner. But we can try: it´s an old farm, nicely converted into simple living space. It´s all about the spot where it´s located: a majestic view on Mount Subasio, forests and meadows as far as the eye can see.

And last but not least: close to Assisi!